Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Michael Charles Smith


Who?: Oregon Businessman Michael Charles Smith Along with John Cox, Smith is probably the best known of the third (or fourth) tier of Presidential candidates. Why Cox and Smith aren't on the debate stage, and Hunter and Keyes are, is a shame, but that's party politics for you.
Musician supporters: n/a
What I assume is on his personal music player: Hard to tell, but probably not gangsta rap


On the Record: Michael is shown on his website holding a tuba. If Clinton could ride a woodwind to the White House, why not time for the brass instruments?
Will Michael answer my question about what music he listens to?: This whole thing has been an exercise to see if I can get my question answered by a candidate. I haven't been too successful with this. How are the future world leaders going to go head-to-head with Ahmadinejad, if they won't go head-to-head with me first? How can a candidate claim to be 'of the people' if they don't answer my question?
Well, Michael Charles Smith gets our full endorsement. He actually replied back.
I play tuba and I’m a band geek. I like symphonic band music, and usually the more tuba the better – Wagner, Sousa, etc.

There’s a piece call Polka and Fugue from the opera Schwanda the Bagpiper by Jaromir Weinberger – it’s probably my all time favorite piece that nobody’s ever heard of.

I’m also a product of my Midwestern roots in the 70’s. I like REO Speedwagon, Rush, and Boston.

I like somewhat quirky stuff like They Might be Giants, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and Pink Martini.

I appreciate anyone with talent, but most of the stuff I hear on the radio doesn’t demonstrate much talent.

He then goes on to say he plays tuba with the Corvallis Community Band and invites me over to see them if I am in the neighborhood.
Smith gets high points for answering back personally. Even more so, his answer is great.
I have lots of friends who likes the same music. I would encourage them (and you) to vote with their MP3 Player and show Smith some love.

No comments: